Winding down into retirement, we closed our registered company. in 2020, after a last burst of work on rural electrification (Sierra Leone), land tenure (Ethiopia) and agricultural development across Africa.
After 6 years as Investor Director of start-up companies, JM now volunteers with Citizens Advice.
|Something Completely Different|
JM&Co has just completed testing its innovative Quad 555 irrigation control unit to Technology Readiness
Level 6: Demonstrated in a Working Environment.
For full details and instructions for a DIY build click on Quad 555 above.
James Morton & Company
A small consultancy supporting international efforts to promote growth and social development, JM & Co is based on its founder's 30 years experience across Africa, Asia, the Middle East and S. America.
Bridging the gap between analysis and day-to-day reality, with an understanding based on:
- a unique set of field studies
- 15 years' work with public services in difficult areas
From settlement in Darfur to national reform in Guyana, focussing on:
- Impact: Who gains and who loses?
- Institutions: Sustainable and affordable land law and land services?
Taking Poverty Reduction Strategies through to Public Service Action, by combining:
- experience at the front line of service delivery
- a strategic approach which links policy reform with public expenditure management, and institution building. TOP
'.. the success or failure of an aid programme is essentially related to aspects of political economy ..’ That lesson from Darfur in the 1980s has been at the centre of JM’s work ever since.
Practical solutions underpinned by rigorous analysis, with a focus on:
- Innovation, especially in agriculture
- Growth: private sector development, market chains and rural finance
- Environmental Economics TOP
A systematic, tested approach to:
- Planning and implementing multi-million dollar programmes
- Evaluating welfare impacts
- Policy formation
An understanding born of 6 years living in Nyala and Zalingei, a unique body of field material and theoretical research ranging from semi-arid ecologies through institutional economics to Islamic sociology. TOP
While we will always be ready to take on interesting work, the main purpose of this website is now to give access to 'grey material' on nearly half a century of development aid.
Many of our publications are available on SSRN.Com.
Despite their age our publcations on Darfur and Pakistan were still being cited in 2022.
Tel: + 44 1 844 213063